Emails sent by marketers today have average open rates of 25% and clickthrough rates of 3%. These poor response rates can probably be attributed to the fact that the average number of promoted mails received by a consumer today stands at 121.
The only reason emails are still used for marketing is because of the high ROI (3800%) which is only due to the fact that it barely costs anything to send a mail.
The traffic for Retailers nowadays from Emails is low. Is this engagement channel absolutely lost?
No. We believe that there are multiple workarounds/tactics that can Retailers can employ to make their email marketing more effective
- Data science/AI:
- Segmentation/Personalisation technologies to send highly relevant mails to consumers. We don’t just mean first name and last name insertion here. Clickthrough rates improve by an average of 15% and conversions by 10% through this.
- Text messages
- Push notifications – The average clickthrough rate for retail is 12%. Personalisation can improve these rates too.
- Facebook Messenger Bots
- Create and post content that can be useful to users on social media to get interactions like Likes/Comments. This would contribute to brand marketing.
- Having offline loyalty programs compels direct visits
3. Dealing with Email providers:
Email providers like Google check every mail for spam based on multiple techniques. We’ve compiled ways here to work around these techniques:
- Personalisation – If mails are personalised for each user, mail servers wouldn’t recognise a mass blast being made to their users.
- Using a Transactional email provider over a Promotional one. Mails are less likely to be marked as spam this way.
- Avoid words like “Sale”, “Discount”, etc in the Subject line
- Intersperse promotional content within content marketing – This means there are lesser chances of being marked as spam
- Avoid too many images – Higher chances of mail being marked as spam
- Have customers subscribe to the brand’s Youtube channel which can then be mentioned in the mails. Google/Gmail would not block these mails as Youtube is their own property
4. Playing on consumer psychology:
- Transactional mails have 8X more opens and clicks. Showcasing promotional content over these mails itself provides a unique opportunity for user attention.
- Invent transactional mails/messages to catch user attention. An example would be a reminder email reminding the user that he has Rs200 in his wallet.
- Rather than pure promotional messages, mails could have highly engaging/interactive content – (A facials vendor can show the effect of their product on a person’s face by having them upload an image). This can be a way to make emails viral.
- How Automated Product Tags Help in Better Product Discovery - April 16, 2021
- User-Friendly Shopify Apps to Boost Sales Online - April 16, 2021
- The Best 5 Ways to Increase Conversions on Your Shopify Store in 2021 - March 29, 2021